Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Eggs, Eggs, Eggs


Eggs, Eggs, Eggs. First a A few Very Important Notations About Eggs!

Here, at Kismet Inn Bed and Breakfast, I make sure to get eggs from Farmers Market, the smaller the vendor the better because I don't want them producing so much that they are able to deliver to the supermarkets or even small health food stores. Once that becomes the case then it all chan...ges. My belief is to stick to small local food places unless it is something that can't be grown in the area.

The eggs I get -- the yolks are deep dark yellow/orange not pale yellow like the ones from supermarkets. These hens are graced by the suns rays, shining on them giving them all the necessary nutrients they need to be healthy thus, to produce incredible eggs. The yolk also stands up, I really mean that, it stands up, it is well rounded, bumpy and smiles. It is not like the ones from supermarkets --- the poor hens are cooped up in dark, small cages, never see the sun, live miserably, never get to roam the free grass and be happy. Have you noticed these yolks are so pale yellow sometimes it is like beige, cream color.... even the free range, organic ones in the supermarket cannot compare to the free range, organic small, local farms.
The grains the small local, organic farms feed them are just so much better too. So whenever you are buying eggs just make sure you get them from a small, local, organic farm or even your neighbor will be better than a supermarket. If you have no choice but to get it from a supermarket just make sure they are free range, organic certified eggs.

Having noted the kind of eggs I use, now I absolutely love eggs. I love them fried, boiled, poached, scrambled is my least liked because I can't get to taste the yolk that much. In my native land, we make so many different egg dishes, mix them with all sorts of vegetables, crack them over all sorts of vegetables or mix them with meat, have it raw mixed with rice and ghee, make a yogurt soup that is yogurt, fried onions and eggs with spices, it is heavenly. I don't know if I could live without them!

No comments: