Monday, May 31, 2010

Rhubarb Jam


Here at the Kismet Inn Bed and Breakfast I never buy any industrialized, supermarket or even homemade jams from the Farmers Market where I get most of my food ingredients. I make all of my jams with fresh, organic and local ingredients. Couple of weekends ago I decided to make rhubarb jam without looking up any recipes. I thought the best recipe is what I put together in my head. The simple truth for any kind of jam is sugar and the fruit or vegetable.

For this rhubarb jam I used:
Rhubarb - 8 cups of rhubarb
Cane Juice Organic Sugar - 2 cups
Arrow root - 2 tablespoons
Raisins - 1 cup
Toasted Walnuts - 2 cups
Toasted Coconuts - 1 cup
Cardamom pods - 1 cup

Wash and cut the rhubarbs into small bits, put it in a pot, add the sugar let the sugar melt while the burner is on low heat - about 30-45 minutes. Take a little bit of the juice mix the arrow root in the juice add it to the pot and stir so it gets mixed up with the entire rhubarb. Toast the walnuts add it to the pot, toast the raisins add to the pot, toast the coconut add to the pot, ground with pestle and mortar, the shell removed the pods added to the pot. Stir all the ingredients then let the jam cook under low heat for another 20 minutes. By now it should have a good thick texture.

Put about 10 4 oz mason jar in boiling water to sterilize, fill the jars tighten the lids. Since I don't cook the jams for long hours even though I sterilize the jars I still store them in the refrigerator till I use them. Once I open a jar I leave it outside the fridge till it is finished.

I served the jam to the guests over the Memorial Day Weekend and the guests loved it. The taste is not too sweet, you can taste each ingredient, the tartness of the rhubarb, the toastiness of the walnuts and the coconut and the raisins each have their distinct flavor. By adding the coconut and raisin you can add less sugar and by adding the arrow root you add the thickness to the jam. Enjoy it ... if you find it difficult to make, please come to the Kismet Inn Bed and Breakfast to enjoy it here either for breakfast as stay over guest or with scones for afternoon tea as non-stay over guests.

Please, contact Shadi at 207-443-3399 or email stay@kismetinnmaine.com

No comments: